WARRENSVILLE CENTER SYNAGOGUE - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
WARRENSVILLE CENTER SYNAGOGUE, the second-largest Orthodox Jewish congregation in Cleveland, was established in May 1959 from the merger of TETIEVER AHAVATH ACHIM ANSHE SFARD, the KINSMAN JEWISH CENTER, and Congregation Nvoh Tzedick (a congregation established by Jewish Lithuanians in 1918). Additional mergers were effected in 1970 and 1972 with smaller Orthodox congregations. The 1959 merger was consummated in large measure through the efforts of Frank Tavens, president of the Tetiever congregation and Warrensville Center's first president (1959-62, thereafter honorary president for life). Sigmund Schuster and Charles Segall, presidents of the Kinsman Jewish Center and Nvoh Tzedick, respectively, became vice-presidents of the new congregation. Jacob Muskin, who had served the Kinsman Jewish Center, was elected rabbi. The synagogue occupied the building erected in 1957 by the Tetiever congregation on Warrensville Center Rd. near Mayfield Rd. in SOUTH EUCLID. A Youth Education Center was dedicated on 19 Mar. 1966, including classrooms, a library, and a gymnasium.
The other congregations that form Warrensville Center Synagogue include Sherith Jacob Israel (1970) and SHAKER-LEE SYNAGOGUE (1972). Warrensville Center kept individual auxiliary groups intact (e.g., the Nvoh Tzedick Free Loan Society and the Tetiever Ladies Aid Society) and formed others, such as a combined sisterhood (of the Tetiever Congregation and the Kinsman Jewish Center), the Minyonaires (1960), a teenage boys' organization, a men's club (1961), and the Adult Institute for Jewish Education (1962). In 1965 a weekday Hebrew school was instituted. The Union of Orthodox Congregations honored both Frank Tavens (1961 President's Award) and the congregation (1962, the Pioneer Congregation Award), for leadership and growth, respectively. In 1995 Rabbi Lawrence S. Zierler served the congregation's 318 households.
Last Modified: 23 Jul 1997 10:57:38 AM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University