STEAMSHIP WILLIAM G. MATHER MUSEUM - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The STEAMSHIP WILLIAM G. MATHER MUSEUM, once the flagship of the Cleveland-Cliffs fleet, later served as a floating museum operated by the GREAT LAKES HISTORICAL SOCIETY at Cleveland's NORTH COAST HARBOR. The Mather was built in 1925 in River Rouge, MI, by the Great Lakes Engineering Works for the Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co. (see CLEVELAND-CLIFFS INC.). It was named for one of Cleveland's leading industrialists and philanthropists. The ship, with a length of 618' and a capacity of 14,000 long tons, was at one time one of the largest ships on the Great Lakes. It carried ore, coal, stone, and grain around the Great Lakes.
After active service and before being brought to Cleveland, the ship was laid up in Toledo's harbor. In 1987 Cleveland-Cliffs donated it, the last of their Great Lakes vessels, to the Great Lakes Historical Society. Under the Society's direction approx. $800,000 of work took place over the next 4 years to restore the ship as well as to convert the vessel into a floating ship museum and educational facility. In May 1991 the ship became NORTH COAST HARBOR's first permanent new attraction when it was docked at the E. 9th St. pier. At that time it was one of only 4 ore freighter museums on the Great Lakes.
In Sept. 1994 the Great Lakes Historical Society divested itself of the museum. Amid a groundswell of local support to keep the Mather in Cleveland, the Harbor Heritage Society was created to negotiate a new lease agreement with the city. Incorporated in June 1995, Harbor Heritage formally acquired the Mather on 22 July 1995, and in 1996 continued to oversee the Mather's ongoing restoration, promotion, and development as a historic vessel.Last Modified: 30 Jun 1997 02:18:49 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University