SCHNEIDER, CHARLES SUMNER (1874-10 Mar. 1932), a brilliant eclectic architect from 1901-32, was born in Cleveland, son of Rev. William F. and Amanda (Esslinger) Schneider. He received his first architectural training in the office of Meade & Garfield, and afterwards studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Returning to Cleveland, he joined the office of Wm. Watterson in 1901, designing the ornate Italian Renaissance-style Rockefeller Physics Bldg. at Case School of Applied Science (1905) and the office building of the Cleveland Baseball Co. at LEAGUE PARK.
Schneider began an independent practice in 1908. In 1912 he was associate architect with Geo. B. Post in the Hotel Statler. In the 1920s, Schneider was associated with architects Edward J. Maier and Francis Hirschfeld. Working in both the classical and medieval idioms, he designed private residences in CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, SHAKER HEIGHTS, LAKEWOOD, and other cities, including homes for Ernest S. Barkwill and Mrs. Sophia S. Taylor, president and chairman of WILLIAM TAYLOR SON & CO.; and a classic revival residence for Edwin Motch. Schneider's residential masterpiece was the Tudor mansion for the estate of F. A. Seiberling in Akron, Stan Hywet (1915), based on several great English country houses.
Schneider also designed Plymouth Church in Shaker Hts. (1923) in the Georgian Colonial-style, Shaker Hts. City Hall (1930), and several public schools. He designed Quad Hall on Euclid Ave. (1925), Austin Hall at Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio, and the classical Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen Bldg. (1921). Schneider married Georgia P. Leighton on 14 Sept. 1904 and had 4 children, Margery, George, Leighton, and Charles S. Schneider died in Cleveland and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.Last Modified: 22 Jul 1997 11:51:23 AM
- Related Article(s)