SMITH, CHARLES HENRY (23 Nov. 1837-13 Aug. 1912), attorney, merchant, banker, and volunteer Civil War officer, was born in Taunton, Mass. to Thomas and Ann Clark Smith. He lived in Fall River, Mass. (1845-50) and Jamestown, N.Y. (1850-56) before moving to Cleveland in 1856 and going into the furniture business. When the CIVIL WAR broke out, he enlisted in Co. A, 7TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, composed of the Cleveland Light Guard Zouave Co., of which he was a member. After 3 months' service, Smith returned to Cleveland to recruit a company for 3 years' service, Co. G, 27th OVI. He was appointed sergeant on 27 July 1861, orderly sergeant on 12 May 1862, and 2d lieutenant on 2 Nov. 1862 for meritorious conduct at the Battle of Corinth, Miss., in which he led a charge against the 9th Texas Infantry, capturing its flag and color guard.
Smith was commissioned 1st lieutenant on 9 May 1864, captain on 3 Nov. 1864, and major on 3 May 1865. He was mustered out and discharged in July 1865. Smith received a law degree from Ohio State University in 1871, but did not practice. Instead, he spent 33 years in the grain trade, also serving as a director and treasurer of Equity Savings & Loan Co. He married Louisa M. Johnson in 1868 and had 3 daughters: Mildred, Nina, and Edith, and a son. He participated in several military organizations and was a Mason. Smith died at his residence in Cleveland, and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.
Chas. H. Smith Papers, WRHS.
Last Modified: 16 Mar 1998 10:37:37 AM
Smith, Charles H. The History of Fuller's Ohio Brigade, 1861-1865 (1909).