OLMSTED FALLS - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
OLMSTED FALLS, incorporated as a village in 1857 and as a city in 1961, is situated 14 miles southwest of Cleveland and occupies 3 square miles. It is bounded on the east by BEREA, on the north by NORTH OLMSTED, and on the west by OLMSTED TOWNSHIP. The early history of Olmsted Falls is closely tied to North Olmsted and Olmsted Township, all carved out of the original Olmsted township. The township got its name in 1829 from Aaron Olmsted, who acquired tracts of township land from the CONNECTICUT LAND COMPANY in 1795. During the 1820s, a sawmill and a gristmill were built at the falls of the west branch of the Rocky River. In 1843, the town of Norris Falls was created at the center of the township, and in 1845 the town was renamed Olmsted Falls after the larger falls used for the mills. The village adopted the mayor-council form of government at incorporation. In 1849, the Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati Railroad was built through Olmsted Falls, benefitting the village. However, expansion slowed at the turn of the century and did not begin again until after World War II. Highway development and suburban migration contributed to Olmsted Falls' postwar growth. Its population grew steadily from 2,144 in 1960 to 5,868 in 1980, to 6,741 in 1990, to 7,962 in 2000, and to 9,024 in 2010. Olmsted Falls provides police and fire protection, several parks and picnic facilities, and summer recreational programs. A branch of the CUYAHOGA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM is located in Olmsted Falls.
Banks, Bruce and Jim Wallace. The Olmsted Story: A Brief History of Olmsted Falls & Olmsted Township. Charleston: The History Press, 2010.
Cimperman, John D. Images of America: Olmsted Falls. Charleston, SC : Arcadia Pub, 2007.
Offenberg, Bernice Weitzel. Over the Years in Olmsted, Township 6, Range 15 (1964).
Olmsted Falls, "Community Profile" (1982).
See also SUBURBS.
Last Modified: 13 Feb 2013 09:09:26 AM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University