MILLER, DAYTON CLARENCE (13 Mar. 1866-22 Feb. 1941) was a pioneer user of x-rays. Born in STRONGSVILLE, Ohio to Charles Webster Dewey and Vienna Pomeroy Miller, he was raised in BEREA and graduated from Baldwin University (BALDWIN-WALLACE COLLEGE) in 1886. He received a doctorate from Princeton in 1890, and became professor of mathematics and physics at Case School of Applied Science (CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY). From 1895-1936, he headed the Physics Dept.
After Konrad von Roentgen's discovery of x-rays in 1895 was reported in the PLAIN DEALER, Miller, who worked in surgical x-rays, built an x-ray apparatus with a Crookes Tube and 12 wet-cell batteries. In 1896, he x-rayed his entire body section by section, producing the first full x-ray of the human body. The value of these x-rays became partially realized when Miller used the process to detect an improperly set broken arm of a patient of Dr. GEO. CRILE†. Miller's other interests included sound; he developed a "phonodeik" (forerunner of the oscilloscope) and worked on architectural acoustics for many buildings, including SEVERANCE HALL. He also performed and composed music; built a pipe organ; made a golden flute; and collected 1,500 flutes which were left to the Library of Congress. As a consultant for the Aeolian Co., he was instrumental in developing the Webber piano. In 1921, Miller met with Albert Einstein regarding his recreation of the Michelson-Morley experiments that had led to the development of the Theory of Relativity.
Miller married Edith Easton in 1893. He died in Cleveland and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.Last Modified: 21 Jul 1997 10:51:02 AM