HEARD, LUCAS ALLEN (22 Aug. 1846-29 April 1903), architect, worked in
Cleveland between 1870-81. He designed such local buildings as Ursuline Academy
at Villa Angela (1878) and the Willson Avenue Baptist Church (1879, later St.
Paul's AME Zion Church). Born in Cleveland, Heard was the son of Caroline James
Goldsmith and Charles W. Heard, a prominent architect, and the grandson of
master builder JONATHAN GOLDSMITH†. L. Allen Heard
joined his father's firm in 1870. In 1877-78 he practiced under his own name and
from 1879-81 was the partner of
Heard married Hattie C. Lewis in 1873 and had 3 children: Richard B., Allen, and Clarence L. He moved to Denver in 1881. Heard drowned at Escalante, CO; his remains were not found until almost 3 months afterward, on 11 July 1893.
Last Modified: 18 Aug 2003 01:40:36 PM
See also ARCHITECTURE
- Related Article(s)