HUBBELL & BENES - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The architectural firm of HUBBELL & BENES designed several of Cleveland's most noteworthy buildings. W. DOMINICK BENES† (1857-1935) began working for the firm of COBURN & BARNUM in 1876, and BENJAMIN S. HUBBELL† (1867-1953) joined the firm in the mid-1890s. By 1896 the firm had evolved into Coburn, Barnum, Benes & Hubbell. The latter two architects then struck out on their own in 1897.
Their first major project was WADE MEMORIAL CHAPEL (1901) in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY. Other projects in Cleveland include the Citizens' Bldg. (1903); the Cleveland School of Art (1905), demolished; the Mather College Gymnasium (1908); the WEST SIDE MARKET (1912) and the designs for adjacent (unbuilt) structures; the YMCA (1912); and the Illuminating Bldg. (1915) on PUBLIC SQUARE. Perhaps the firm's most important building was the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART (1916). At this time they also drew up plans for cultural buildings around the Wade Park Oval. Afterwards came the Masonic Auditorium (1921); the PLAIN DEALER building (later used by the CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY) at Superior and E. 6th (1922), demolished; and, in 1927, the PHILLIS WHEATLEY ASSOCIATION building, St. Luke's Hospital, and the Ohio Bell Telephone Co. The latter is considered Cleveland's most important early skyscraper and is noted for its Modernistic (Art Deco) style. The firm gained a reputation for its fine classical revival and early commercial structures. Hubbell and Benes is considered one of Cleveland's leading architectural firms of the early 1900s. Although Benes died in 1935, the firm continued under this name until 1939.
Last Modified: 18 Jul 1997 03:59:13 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University