GOODRICH-GANNETT NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The GOODRICH-GANNETT NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER, which organized on 9 Dec. 1896 (inc. 15 May 1897, opened 20 May 1897) as the Goodrich Social Settlement at Bond St. (E. 6th) and St. Clair Ave., spawned several other organizations and services, such as the CONSUMERS LEAGUE OF OHIO, the LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF CLEVELAND, the CLEVELAND MUSIC SCHOOL SETTLEMENT, and the CLEVELAND SOCIETY FOR THE BLIND. FLORA STONE MATHER† founded Goodrich, one of the city's first SETTLEMENT HOUSES, in conjunction with FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (OLD STONE). Mather donated the original 3-story building, paid the early expenses, and established an endowment fund. The settlement was named for former First Church pastor Wm. H. Goodrich. Beginning in 1920, Goodrich received financial support from the Community Chest. Goodrich organized street associations and clubs, while also offering classes and workshops for arts and crafts, cooking, sewing, gymnastics, and other activities. Famous residents include FREDERICK C. HOWE† and NEWTON C. BAKER†. STARR CADWALLADER†, the first director, served until 1902. Between 1902 and 1917, repeated changes in leadership took place, until ALICE P. GANNETT†'s tenure as Goodrich director from 1917 to 1947.
As the downtown area commercialized, Goodrich moved in 1914 to 1420 E. 31st and became the Goodrich-Sterling Settlement House, adding a gymnasium and auditorium. In 1957 Goodrich opened a Downtown Neighborhood Center near its original location as well as an E. 55th St. center to serve the residents of the area between E. 40th and E. 65th, which now served as Goodrich's headquarters. The short-lived Goodrich Bell Center at 1839 E. 81st was opened in 1959. In 1962 Goodrich moved to 1135 E. 71st when the lease for the building at 1368 E. 55th expired. However, in 1964 Goodrich reoccupied the complex following the facility's renovation. Different ethnic groups have benefited from Goodrich programs. East European immigrants replaced the original German and Irish residents, and in turn were replaced by Appalachian whites and African Americans from the southern U.S. Goodrich has continually provided services such as adult education, day nurseries, and camps for all members of the community.
Last Modified: 21 Nov 2009 01:28:25 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University