FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (OLD STONE) - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (OLD STONE) grew from a Plan of Union Sunday school established in 1820, incorporated as the First Presbyterian Society in 1827. The oldest structure on PUBLIC SQUARE it is one of Cleveland's few early churches remaining in its original location. The sandstone church building, which became known as "Old Stone," was the second within the Cleveland limits, built at Ontario St. and Public Square between 1831-33.
Old Stone Church has dealt with a migrating congregation since the 1850s but has continuously decided to remain on Public Square. It has supported inner city ministries such as Goodrich House (later GOODRICH-GANNETT NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER) and the Home for the Friendless (later part of Cleveland City Hospital), which opened in church parlors during the Civil War to care for southern refugees. Community leadership was provided by senior pastors such as Rev. HIRAM C. HAYDN†, who retired as pastor emeritus (1872-80, 1884-1902). Under his leadership, the Cleveland Presbyterian Union (later the PRESBYTERIAN UNION) formed to extend church work. Old Stone Church has spawned many other area churches, including First Presbyterian of Brooklyn (1835), Bethel (1835), Second Presbyterian (1837), NORTH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (1870), CALVARY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (1892), Bolton Ave.(1892), Windermere (1892), Trinity (1894), and Lakewood (1912).
Last Modified: 27 Mar 1998 10:27:42 AM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University