BROOKLYN HEIGHTS - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
BROOKLYN HEIGHTS, incorporated as a village in Feb. 1903, is a 1.73 sq. mi. residential-industrial community southeast of Cleveland and bounded on the west and north by Cleveland, on the east by the CUYAHOGA RIVER and INDEPENDENCE, on the south by Independence and SEVEN HILLS, and on the west by PARMA. It was one of the last municipalities formed from Brooklyn and Independence townships. In 1902 taxpayers in School District #4 discussed the possibility of withdrawing from Brooklyn Twp., primarily to establish their own school district, and also because of a dispute over taxes. In 1903 a petition for the incorporation of an independent village was presented to the township trustees; after an election, Brooklyn Hts. was incorporated. In 1920 the population was 605. Martin Ruetenik, the first mayor, and Hamilton Richardson helped create the Cleveland Growers Marketing Co. The community developed into one of the leading vegetable greenhouse areas in the U.S., with over 100 acres "under glass" (see AGRICULTURE). In 1927 the area west of Brookpark Rd., representing about two-thirds of the area of the village and about half the population, was annexed to Cleveland. The remaining 413 people rebuilt their community, with George Thompson as mayor, overcoming financial difficulties, and grew to 1,600 people in 1958. Since 1938 the schools of Brooklyn Hts. have been part of the Cuyahoga Hts. School District. In 1962 the village adopted the motto "the Greenhouse Center of America." Gardening and greenhouse enterprises, which in 1965 occupied 53 acres of the total 1,178, gradually gave way to INDUSTRY. In 1984 Brooklyn Hts., with 1,653 people, had over 100 industries, 500 residences, and about 5 greenhouses. Its population in 1995 was 1,650 and in 2000 was 1,558.
Last Modified: 15 Jun 2003 01:56:35 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University