Banner image            Home    What's New    Articles    Images    Subjects    Corrections    Advanced Search    Timeline    Maps    Multimedia    About
The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

BEACHWOOD - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

BEACHWOOD, incorporated as Beachwood Village on 26 June 1915 and as a city in 1960, is 10 miles east of Cleveland and bounded by SOUTH EUCLID and LYNDHURST on the north, SHAKER HEIGHTS and UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS on the west, WARRENSVILLE TWP.. on the south, and PEPPER PIKE on the east. It occupies approx. 4.6 sq. mi. and was originally a part of Warrensville Twp. In 1915 merchants, tradesmen, and farmers from the northeastern part of the township petitioned to withdraw; on 15 June 1915, the proposal passed. The new village had 151 residents. Although much of Beachwood's early history was characterized by boundary disputes, annexation disagreements, lack of funds (including default in the 1930s), school reorganizations, and zoning problems, it grew substantially after World War II, into a residential community. Land was rezoned for limited business and industrial developments, including Corporate Park and Commerce Park Square, the first major office complex in the area. A third major development, Enterprise I in Science Park, was started in 1984. Much of this development centered on Chagrin Blvd., particularly at Green and Richmond roads, yet most of Beachwood remained residential, with homes, apartments, condominiums, schools, churches, synagogues, and sports and recreational facilities. Between 1990 and 2000 its population remained relatively unchanged at approx. 12,000. Its school system, which led the state in revenue per pupil in 1993, consisted of a high school, middle school, and 3 elementary schools. The suburb was also home to a branch of the CUYAHOGA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM (CCPL) (opened in 1982), the CLEVELAND COLLEGE OF JEWISH STUDIES, AGNON SCHOOL, and Cleveland Hebrew School. In 1993 residents unsuccessfully tried to block expansion of the Beachwood Mall at Richmond and Cedar roads, one of the most congested intersections in Cuyahoga County, and the project was completed by 1997.

See also SUBURBS.

Last Modified: 21 Apr 2003 07:46:40 AM

Related Article(s)
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University