BRECKSVILLE - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
BRECKSVILLE, 14 miles south of Cleveland on the southern border of Cuyahoga County, borders INDEPENDENCE on the north and BROADVIEW HEIGHTS on the west. Brecksville Twp. was incorporated as the Village of Brecksville in 1922 and achieved city status on 16 Dec. 1960. It operates under the mayor-council form of government. Brecksville occupies 19 sq. mi.
In 1810 SETH PAINE† left Williamsburg, MA, with his family and Melzer Clark for the WESTERN RESERVE. A land surveyor, Paine began work in the current Brecksville area in 1811 and acted as land agent for the Breck family, area landowners. Paine himself selected 200 acres of flat land, becoming known as the first white settler in Breck Twp. Brecksville emphasized AGRICULTURE throughout the 19th century; in the 20th century, the construction of paved roads and the introduction of the automobile made it more accessible to Cleveland residents. In 1937-38, many village farms were uprooted to make room for the construction of Ohio Rte. 82 (see HIGHWAYS). Post-World War II migration from Cleveland to area suburbs, especially during the 1950s, contributed to Brecksville's growth. In 1960 its population reached 5,435; by 1970, it had nearly doubled, to 9,137. Steady growth continued, reaching 10,132 in 1980; 11,818 in 1990; and 13,382 in 2000. In 2003 the Brecksville-Broadview Heights City Schools included 3 elementary schools, 1 intermediate, 1 middle, and 1 high school; for 10 consecutive years, School Match has ranked the district in the top 10% nationally. The city is also home to the Cuyahoga Valley Career Center for vocational students. Among the city's largest employers in 2003 were the Brecksville Veterans' Hospital, SBC/AMERITECH, and Noveon (formerly the chemical division of B.F. GOODRICH). In addition to a local branch of the CUYAHOGA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM (CCPL), recreational facilities include the Brecksville Reservation of the CLEVELAND METROPARKS, a golf course, and riding stables.
Last Modified: 27 Apr 2003 06:16:12 PM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University