ANDREWS'S FOLLY - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
"ANDREWS'S FOLLY" was the popular name for the home of SAMUEL ANDREWS†, one of the original partners of the firm that became the STANDARD OIL CO. (OHIO) in 1870.
Samuel Andrews's mansion, also called "Andrews's Folly," located on Euclid Ave., ca. 1890. WRHS.
Although he sold his shares in 1874 and thus did not reap the phenomenal riches that others did, Andrews determined to build the greatest house on the "Millionaires Row" of Euclid Ave. Erected in 1882-85 and designed in a modified Victorian Gothic baronial style, it was located on the northwest corner of Euclid and E. 30th St. The house had 80-100 rooms, an immense central hall, carved staircases and woodwork, stained glass, and 5 separate apartments for the financier's daughters. The architect was GEO. H. SMITH
†, one of the collaborators in the design of the ARCADE
. Andrews's hope of entertaining Queen Victoria in the house never materialized. It was soon found that the plan of the house made it impossible for servants to function efficiently, and the house was closed. Thus it came to be known as "Andrews's Folly," standing vacant for 25 years until its demolition in 1923. Last Modified: 27 Mar 1998 10:07:02 AM
- Related Article(s)