ROWLEY, CHARLES BACON (2 Apr. 1890-17 Dec. 1984), "Carl," was an architect best known for his work with Philip Small in the 1920s. Rowley was born in Springfield, Ohio, and attended high school in Jackson, Michigan. He continued his education at MIT, where he graduated in 1912. He moved to Cleveland in 1920 and established the architectural firm of SMALL AND ROWLEY in 1921. Small and Rowley's projects for the VAN SWERINGENS† including numerous homes, SHAKER SQUARE, and the MORELAND COURTS apartments. The firm was dissolved in 1928.
Rowley formed the firm of Chas. Bacon Rowley & Assoc that same year. From 1957 to 1972 he worked with Ernst Payer, the firm becoming Rowley, Payer, Huffman & Leithold (1962-69), then Rowley, Payer, Huffman & Caldwall (1969-72).
Rowley designed public schools for several suburbs, the SHAKER HEIGHTS Public Library, the MAYFIELD COUNTRY CLUB, and the CLIFTON CLUB as well as structures in the Cape Cod, Mass. area. He designed many homes in Cleveland's east side suburbs, including an experimental house of steel sheathed with porcelain enamel shingles (1932).
Rowley retired in 1961 and then served as a consulting architect, including work for TRUE TEMPER CORP.. In 1976 he moved to his former summer home in Harwich Port, Mass. His wife Elizabeth, who he married in 1914, died in 1983. Rowley died in Hyannis, Mass. on 17 Dec. 1984. He was survived by a son, Charles B. Jr., and two daughters, Hazel Collord and Elizabeth Tittman.Last Modified: 22 Jul 1997 01:25:18 PM
- Related Article(s)