Banner image            Home    What's New    Articles    Images    Subjects    Corrections    Advanced Search    Timeline    Maps    Multimedia    About
The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

PERRY-PAYNE BUILDING - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

The PERRY-PAYNE BUILDING at 740 Superior Ave. W. was built in 1888-89 by HENRY B. PAYNE†, prominent lawyer and railroad executive, who named it for himself and his wife, daughter of Nathan Perry, Jr. The building was occupied primarily by shipping and iron-ore company offices. The Perry-Payne represents the climax of a stage in commercial office construction before the introduction of the all-steel structural frame. The transition from masonry to iron construction developed independently in several cities. In Cleveland it is seen primarily in the work of FRANK E. CUDELL† (1844-1916) and JOHN N. RICHARDSON† (1837-1902). Three of their key buildings were still standing in the 1980s--the Geo. Worthington Bldg. at 802 W. St. Clair (1882), the Root & McBride-Bradley Bldg. on W. 6th St. (1884), and the Perry-Payne. In each one the ratio of window area to supporting masonry wall was increased, made possible in part by the use of interior iron columns. Where the two earlier buildings have wooden floors, the Perry-Payne has floors of tile and concrete. In addition, the Perry-Payne had an 8-story interior court with a glass roof, but it was floored over at a later date. Builders, architects, and other visitors came to Cleveland from considerable distances to inspect the building and its light court during the early years of its existence. In 1994-95, the building was rehabilitated into 92 loft-style apartments; renovation was directed by architects Robt. Gaedy and Jonathan Sandvizk.

Last Modified: 23 Apr 1998 01:35:19 PM

Related Article(s)

Related Link(s)
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University