MORELAND COURTS - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The MORELAND COURTS are a range of luxury apartment buildings without peer in the city. Occupying an entire block 1,500 ft. long on Shaker Blvd., they were conceived as part of the plan that eventually became SHAKER SQUARE. Construction was begun in 1922 by JOSIAH KIRBY† of the Cleveland Discount Co. The enterprise failed in 1923, and the Moreland Courts were completed by the VAN SWERINGENS† as part of their Shaker Square development between 1925-29.
The architect of the original concept was ALFRED W. HARRIS†, who spent 14 months in the planning, and descriptions indicate that his intention was to write "the entire history of English architecture" on the facade of the 12 contiguous buildings. The stylistic details range from the Late Gothic and Tudor to the Jacobean and Georgian. The connecting links between the 8-story and 6-story towers are treated as screens, and the relationships between mass and ornament are surprisingly effective. The block connecting the original section to the Shaker Square buildings was designed by PHILIP L. SMALL† for the Van Sweringens. The 147 apartments range in size from 6 to 12 rooms, and the cohesive theme of English architecture is reflected in the interior details of fireplaces, ceilings, woodwork, and lobby design. In 1978 it was transformed into condominiums.Last Modified: 21 Jul 1997 11:14:11 AM
This site maintained by Case Western Reserve University