FELTON, MONROE H. (30 Mar. 1902-22 Jan. 1989) was an entrepreneur in Cleveland's African-American community following WORLD WAR II. He was active in both the real estate and entertainment fields.
Born in Americus, GA, Felton was educated there and at Morris Brown College in Atlanta, where he majored in mathematics. He married Vivian D. Martin there, and he and his wife moved to Cleveland in 1923. They had no children.
At first Felton worked as a waiter at Hotel Cleveland and then for the White Motor Co. His ambition, however, was to secure a real estate license, and he devoted his free time to studying for it. He earned the OH salesman's license in 1941, and he followed that up with a broker's license in 1946. In that year, together with some associates, he organized the Manhattan Realty Company. Its offices were located at 4000 East 104th Street. He mixed business with compassion, often surrendering a part of his commission to enable his customers to afford the price of a home.
Besides his interest in real estate, Felton was also fascinated by the entertainment world, and he was active in booking black entertainment groups. He was successful in bringing to Cleveland such ensembles as the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers. Most frequently, the cabaret-style programs he sponsored were held at the old Majestic Hotel on East 55th Street and Central Avenue.
Felton retained his real estate business until 1986. Then in 1988, his health failing, he became a resident at the Willow Park Convalescent Home. He died in 1989. Interment was at Highland Park Cemetery.Last Modified: 10 Jul 1997 05:11:11 PM