DINARDO, ANTONIO (1887-29 June 1948) was an architect active in Cleveland from 1921-48, born in Pennapiedimonte, Italy, son of Domenico and Rosina Augeta Domenica (Guiliante) DiNardo. After coming to America, DiNardo attended the University of Pennsylvania and the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design in Philadelphia. He then studied in Europe. Upon his return, he worked in the office of Paul Cret, and later in the New York office of Arnold Brunner, who planned the Federal Bldg. in Cleveland and was a member of the Group Plan Commission. While in Brunner's office, DiNardo designed a building for the north end of the Mall, which was apparently the earliest conception of the tower design that became the Terminal Tower.
DiNardo came to Cleveland in 1921, becoming a designer in the office of HUBBELL & BENES; among other buildings, he designed their Pearl St. Bank. His own work included St. Augustine Academy in LAKEWOOD, St. Margaret of Hungary Church, portions of the McGregor Home for the Aged, and St. Augustine Church in Barberton. He planned a number of private residences, one for Robt. Black in Mansfield among the most notable. In 1936, DiNardo designed the Transportation Bldg. for the GREAT LAKES EXPOSITION. Also an artist in both oil and watercolor painting, DiNardo exhibited frequently in the Cleveland MAY SHOW. He published a volume of lithographs in 1924 entitled French Farmhouses, Churches, and Small Chateaux.
His wife, Alida, whom DiNardo married on 15 Sept. 1918, preserved many of his architectural drawings. The couple had no children. DiNardo died in Cleveland and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.Last Modified: 10 Jul 1997 05:11:08 PM