CERUTI, JOSEPH (7 May 1912-26 Nov. 1993) was a renowned architect who designed numerous apartment buildings, homes, industrial complexes, libraries, schools and public housing projects (King-Kennedy) and a founding member who served 45 years on Cleveland's Fine Arts Advisory Committee (Design Review Committee).
Born in New York City to Antonio and Luisa (Forte) Ceruti, Joseph came to Cleveland with his family at age two. He graduated from East Technical High School (1929), and received his bachelor of architecture from WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. (1934), a diploma from the School of Fine Arts in Fontainebleau, France and a certificate from the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design, New York. He was a registered architect with Ohio, and the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.
Ceruti began his career in 1936 and, through 1947, was associated with several prominent Cleveland architectural firms. From 1941-1945 he was principal architect for the WARNER & SWASEY CO. and, in 1952, designed the company's plant in New Philadelphia.
In 1947 Ceruti opened his own office on Euclid Avenue. His more notable designs include an office and laboratory building for the HARSHAW CHEMICAL CO. (1946), the 12-story Shaker Towers apartments at Coventry Rd. and Shaker Blvd. (1951), and rehabilitation of the WEST SIDE MARKET (1949).
Ceruti taught architecture and interior design at John Huntington Polytechnic (1939-1940, 1946-47), Cleveland College (1948-1949), and the CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF ART, (1947-1949). Ceruti was elected to the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects.
Ceruti married Dorothy Parma on 17 Jan. 1959. They had four children, Lisa, Anne, Joseph, and Mary Ellen. Ceruti is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.Last Modified: 11 Jul 1997 11:42:23 AM
- Related Article(s)