ARCHWOOD UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
The ARCHWOOD UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST was established in 1819 as a
Presbyterian church by the "Plan of Union" (a joint Congregational-Presbyterian
church-founding effort) and later augmented by the merger with Fourth
Evangelical & Reformed Church. Circuit preachers served the church until a
permanent minister was hired in 1834. A town meetinghouse and members' homes
were used for services until a building reportedly was built near the corner of
W. 25th St. and Willowdale Ave., in use by 1830. The BROOKLYN congregation finally chose between the
denominations and in 1831 incorporated as the First Congregational Society of
Brooklyn. In 1851 the frame building was moved to the corner of Liberty (W.
33rd) and Newburgh (Denison Ave.) streets. In 1879 a new brick building of Late
Gothic style was built on the north side of Greenwood (Archwood) Ave. Outgrown
and in disrepair by the 1920s, a new building, designed by Daniel Farnham in the
Colonial Revival style, was dedicated on the site in 1929.
In 1967, a decade after the merger of the Congregational and Evangelical
& Reformed denominations into the United Church of Christ, Archwood and the
Fourth Evangelical & Reformed Church merged into the Archwood United Church
of Christ. Fourth Evangelical had been formed out of a German-speaking Sunday
school begun in 1869 as a mission of the First Evangelical & Reformed Church
at Penn (W. 32nd St.) and Carroll avenues. The Sunday school served GERMANS living south of the area known as Walworth Run. In
1872 these families met in a home on Walton Ave. and chartered the Fourth
Evangelical & Reformed Church. A lot was purchased on Louis (W. 32nd) St.
south of Clark Ave., and a small frame church dedicated in 1873. A Sunday school
annex was added in 1884. A second building was dedicated on Woodbridge Ave. in
1910. Following the merger, the Evangelical & Reformed building was sold.
The 1970s saw a decline in community involvement for the Archwood Church, but in
the next decade it joined the neighborhood revitalization, participating in such
projects as the Crossroads Development Corp. and Archwood Denison Concerned
Citizens, the Brooklyn Centre Historical Society, and a hunger center.
Membership was approx. 250 in the 1980s.
Last Modified: 26 Sep 2003 03:49:36 PM
See also RELIGION; CONGREGATIONALISTS; PRESBYTERIANS.
- Related Article(s)